61 Flares 61 Flares ×
I love vintage, I love sewing, and I love Fall. Here’s how I made my Vintage Spool and Pumpkin Fall Mason Jars.
- Wood vintage spools (empty and with thread)
- Wide-mouthed mason jars
- Small faux pumpkins
- Decorative paper
- Xyron 1.5-inch Sticker Maker, Xyron Mega Runner, Xyron Mega Runner
- Jute twine, lace trim
- Scrap piece of canvas and burlap
- Letter stamps and ink pad
- Directions:Cut paper into rectangles wide and long enough to wrap around wood vintage spools. Insert the paper rectangles into a 1.5-inch Xyron Create-a-Sticker. Wrap paper around spools. Do as many as you like to fill your mason jars. You can mix paper-covered ones with empty ones with ones with thread. You can stand them up straight or just fill up the jars. My pumpkins are orange and made of styrofoam and looked really fake. So I white-washed them a bit with chalk paint. Then, I adhered a small thread spool to the top in place of the stem with a glue dot. My pumpkins were just the right size to fit snugly into the opening of my wide-mouthed mason jars. I used my Xyron Mega Runner to add some extra adhesive to the inside rim of the mason jar. This way, I can reuse my mason jar in other decor if I like, and save my pumpkin for something else next year. It’s pretty secure…I can lift up the whole jar just holding the pumpkin. But I can also easily remove the pumpkin. I wrapped jute twine around the top of the jar as well as the bottom of the pumpkin. Then I wrapped a 1-inch piece of pretty lace around that. I used my Xyron Create-a-Sticker to apply adhesive to the lace. I made a tag that says “Sew Very Fall” with letter stamps on a scrap of canvas. I layered that on top of a piece of burlap, cut a small slit, and threaded twine through the slit. I tied that to the top of the pumpkin. For the other jar, I filled it with empty spools as well as spools with thread on them. I made a little ornament with a unique green wood spool and a wood bobbin. I displayed them on a vintage sewing machine drawer. All my loves – Fall, vintage spools, twine, letter stamps, pretty paper, vintage jars – all in one craft!
Author and Crafter at The Silly Pearl
Stephanie Chan is the crafter behind The Silly Pearl. She has been creating since childhood, inspired by her creative parents. Today she lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with her handy IT Guy husband, sweet twin girls born in 2007 (Year of the Pig), and a fuzzy tabby cat named Sherry. Current obsessions include watercolor, mid century modern design, Harry Potter, and of course, cats and pigs!